Proverbs 30:19, “The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid.”
Anyone who knows me very well knows that there are two subjects in the Scriptures that I love. They are lighthouses and eagles. This is what has drawn me to our Scripture for today. I love that first phrase, “The way of an eagle in the air;”. I am not too hip on snakes. The ship in the midst of the sea is dependent upon aides to navigation to get safely to where they are going. I think I can see a series of messages coming from this one verse. God’s Word is awesome!
In thinking about “The way of an eagle in the air;” I was reminded that an eagle only flies 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time he glides effortlessly on the wind. This is a good example for you and I as Christians. The Holy Spirit is sometimes referred to as a “wind”. If we yield ourselves to the control of the Holy Spirit we too, as the eagle, can glide along through life. I am not proposing some easy go lucky lifestyle. I am saying things go differently for us if we are yielded to God.
I was also reminded of how the eagles train their children to fly. The mother puts the baby on her back and she takes off from their rock. She flies straight up and then turns over until the baby falls off. As the baby is tumbling downward it screams and cries. Eventually after doing this time and time again the baby sees it’s parents flying and it tries it’s wings and they work. With a puff of wind the baby too is gliding on the “wings of the wind” so to speak. While this is going on the father is circling above watching as the protector. Notice the words of Ezekiel 3:17, “Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.” The male eagle is the “watchman” keeping guard over this training session.
When I think of eagles I think of how some are born on a rock, live on a rock and even die on a rock. During the molting period of an eagle he sits on the rock with his feathers full of pollution and dirt, his talons that were once very powerful are now reduced to bloody nubs and there begins to form calcium over his beak and he cannot hardly breathe. Eventually he will come to his senses so to speak and will beat his beak against the rock and break off the calcium so he can again breathe. He at come point has plucked off all of his feathers and eventually they will grow back. He will take off and fly out and back slamming himself into the rocks and breaking off the talons so they can grow back strong and powerful. He knows that in his vulnerable condition that his rock is a place of safety. The Lord is our rock. Look at Psalm 90:1, “Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.”
God has also equipped the eagle with a set of green sunglasses so to speak. The come in over his eyes from the side and they shield him from the bright sun. When he is under attack he flies straight into the sun and the enemy cannot take the light or the heat and will turn back. So, you and I need to go straight to the “Son” when we are attacked.
I love the words of Isaiah 40:31, “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” You knew I was going there. Today, my friends, stretch out your wings and fly!
Today’s reading: Ezekiel 1, 2, 3; Psalm 30, 60, 90, 120, 150; Proverbs 30